Going to the far road, especially for rookie drivers, it is quite often the question what needs to be done not to fall asleep at the wheel. What measures to take and what rules to follow in order not to lose control by plunging into sleep. In this blog I will tell you about the main factors that contribute to falling asleep while driving, as well as about the ways of driving behavior, to avoid great trouble on the road.
First, I will list the main factors that may contribute to the driver of the car falling asleep while driving:
- Vehicle driver fatigue and underperformance;
- Long travel time;
- Driving on the usual route for the driver;
- The trip takes place on a good and high-quality road;
- Excellent visibility;
- Road with small number of vehicles;
- There is no special road. Coating which, when passed from its band, creates noise effect and steering vibration.
Of course, the most important factor is the driver ‘s condition, and specifically his fatigue. One study conducted by world lights found that waking a driver for more than fifteen hours increases the risk of getting into a traffic accident by four times. In case the number of working hours of a person reaches the mark of twenty, the risk increases to thirty! time.
How to avoid fate – fall asleep while driving? For very long years, traveling long distances, your submissive servant has wondered this question… There were many ways I thought I could help me stay awake at the wheel for as long as possible. Distances without stops, which I travelled, were large for 1500-2500 thousand km, time was also decent for 20-30 hours without significant stops and sleep. The arsenal of folk methods to prevent falling asleep while driving is huge… Talking in a chicken with bovine motorists, the internet is all just a stash for advice on successfully overcoming long distances without incident. It includes methods such as coffee, tea, energy drinks, nuts and seeds. Many advise to open windows and refuse the services of climate systems at signs of fatigue, making the conditions of the driver in the car cabin uncomfortable. Many advise taking in after eating a few drops of Eleutherococcus tincture to increase operability and mental activity. And much, many other… And the climax popular council at all times was: “Tired – rest.” But here is the whole thing – and how to determine that you are tired, by what criteria and signs it can be understood and give yourself the opportunity to rest until the moment when sudden sleep comes?
For myself, I noted some of the most important signs that it ‘s time to stop and sleep. They are based on my experience of travelling long distances by car. If you notice in your behavior at least one of these signs – immediately change with the partner, or stop in a safe place and on the side. Here are these signs of a driver ‘s rapid sleep:
- The driver begins to notice the moment of eye blinking. In daily life a person does not notice this moment, blinking takes place quickly and is not postponed in memory. In case you started to notice this moment – urgently on the side of the road and to sleep. Otherwise be trouble…
- Poor focus of vision. In the normal state of the driver, vision is not difficult to rebuild, such as from the road to the dashboard and back, while extracting the necessary information. If you ‘ve moved the look from the road to the appliances, then back and can ‘t remember for example the mileage you ‘ve just seen – to the sidelines and sleep!
- Deception of vision. When driving, the driver begins to see one thing far away, and when approaching, a very different thing, or the image is lost at all. It ‘s a sign that the driver ‘s brain activity is very bad and fatigue is beating him. The information of the surrounding world does not have time to be processed. Urgently to the side of the road and sleep!
- The driver becomes lazy to involve the brain. A tired and asleep man becomes lazy. It becomes lazy, for example to maintain conversation with passengers, to pick words, to follow the topic of conversation. If there is a driver-passenger dialogue in the car cabin, the driver will not fall asleep. But as soon as the passenger ‘s monologue begins and only the driver ‘s rare subhumidification, or even silence in general, attention is a sign of rapid sleep.
- The driver begins to systematically violate minor SDA. Stopped turning on the turntables, turn on or turn off the long-distance light in a timely manner at night, etc. You notice a decrease in attention, you are lazy to perform though minor, but the rules of the road – sleep!
If you are travelling as a passenger, you can test the driver for his condition, how cheerful and adequate he is. You can ask a question. But not just a question that can be answered in a single layer – “yes” or “no,” but a question of attention or a topic that can only be answered by thinking. As an example, the right questions will be: “and what locality do we pass?,” in how long we will be in place, “what to give to our mutual friend.” If you as a passenger have noticed that the answers to your questions are too primitive or not in the subject at all, it is time for the driver to sleep or change places with you. It is very important to remember that in conversations, in heated disputes on any topics – the driver will never fall asleep. Therefore, the behavior of passengers is also very important in the far road.
The driver at the wheel can ‘t fall asleep. His brain activity slips into sleep gradually. Therefore, it is very important to understand for yourself – how to correctly identify and catch signs of sleep, as well as how to orient in time that it is time to stop the car and rest. No matter how many cups of coffee or tea you drink on the road, in various situations and conditions of the human body these agents affect differently – sometimes effectively, sometimes not very. It is important to know about the line between waking and sleeping and to be able not to cross it in time. It is better to lose 30-60 minutes on sleep than your life and the lives of people around you.